Thursday, June 19, 2008

First Day of Summer Break

Yesterday was my last day of work. No more work until after Labor Day. One of the benefits of working for a school are great summer breaks!

This morning I woke up at 5:30 AM. By the time I begin sleeping in until 9:00 it will be time to go back to work! Oh well! Anyway, as I was saying I woke up at 5:30 AM and came downstairs and started my coffee. Starbuck's Sumatra. Bold and delicious! While my coffee was brewing I started my laptop on the kitchen table and checked my emails and my scrabble game with my good friend Cookie. Hmmm nothing from Cookie yet. She must be enjoying her summer break too. My good friend lives back east and also works in a school. Every summer we read half a dozen books together and discuss them through email. Our kick off for this summer is called "Bridge of Sighs". I haven't started reading the book yet. Cookie claims it is a pretty good story. She does pick some good books, a few duds now and then but usually her choices are good. I will begin reading Bridge of Sighs tomorrow.

My son finally woke up at 8:30 AM. We planned to do a mother son day today. And Aaron wanted to go to Frys. So when Aaron was ready we left the house for Fry's Electronics. He is looking for a CS3 Adobe program and a new computer desk. He found a nice desk at Fry's but they did not have CS3. So we drove to Best Buys to see if they had a copy. No luck. It appears Aaron will have to order his CS3 from an online store. What did we do before the internet?

Before driving home we stopped and had lunch together. After lunch I dropped Aaron and his desk off at home while I ran to the grocery store. When I returned Aaron had his desk assembled and his computer and two monitors running. I asked Aaron if it would be okay if I left him for a few hours to ride my bike. He said that would be fine so I quickly put away my groceries, got into my biking atire, pumped air into my tires, lubed my chain, filled my water bottles and off I went. It was a beautiful day, a little windy but sunny and warm. I had a great ride. There were a lot of other cyclist out and they seemed to be having a good day too.

I got 64.3 miles in and averaged 14.84 mph. Not bad considering the hellacious headwind I had on my return ride. I didn't get back home until 6:30 PM. Lucky thing I took something quick and easy out this morning for dinner. I made my famous pork fried rice and it was delicious. It's amazing how hungry a bike ride can make you!

No comments: