Sunday, September 21, 2008

Wet Ride

This morning I was up at 4:30 AM so that I could be in Issaquah by 6:30 AM for the first annual Cycle the WAVE. A ride for Women Against Violence Everywhere. There were two courses, the girly girl course a 30 mile ride and the burly girl course a metric. I signed up for the burly girl ride. I arrived by 6:30 and riders were arriving by the minute. I parked and then went to the check in and picked up my number and packet. I got my bike ready and then rode over to the start. The burly girls were scheduled to leave at 7:30 AM and the girly girls at 8:30 AM. We were a little late starting but finally at 7:50 we were off. It was misty and wet. The course was very very hilly. There were some pretty steep and long climbs and a couple of long fast descents too. One descent had a 10% grade and the hill was over 2.5 miles long. There were three fully stocked rest stops on the metric course. The ladies working the rest stops were awesome. Even though it was raining off and on all morning and afternoon long I still had a great time. I rolled back in around 1:24 to cheers and applause. I was given a ribbon by a young girl as I crossed. I'm very tired but very happy I did the ride. I will sleep very soundly tonight.

My Tshirt and medal with purple ribbon. Given to me by a little girl as I crossed the finish!
I will treasure it always.

2 comments:

No pain, no gain! said...

I did this ride too! It was just totally amazing :) Such a great day and well put on and a good way to support a good cause! :) Next year I'm hoping to do the 62 miler!

Sue said...

It was a great ride! I am definitely adding it to my list of must do rides for 2009. Maybe the weather will be a little nicer?! :)