Friday, May 16, 2008

A Beautiful Friday

This morning I woke up to another beautiful day. The sun was out, the sky was clear and blue, and the temperature at 7 AM was already in the 60s. Excited about a second beautiful day I called in to work and told them I would not be in. I just could not help myself. I rarely do anything so impulsive and selfish but today I just could not help myself. It had been a long cold, wet, miserable winter and spring. My spirits have been so low but with this gorgeous sunshine and the opportunity to ride my bike again my spirit meter has risen to extremely happy! So with my call to work out of the way I started my coffee and popped an English muffin into the toaster. After breakfast I changed, got my bike ready, and was on my way. I initially was going to ride the 45 mile Enumclaw to Black Diamond loop but at the last minute changed my mind. Instead I drove to the trail head of the Orting Trail in Puyallup next to the tulip farm. From the trail head to South Prairie it’s 15 miles. So out and back makes it a 30 mile ride.

The morning sun was warming the day up nicely. I did not need a jacket. To take full advantage of the sun I wore one of my sleeveless tops. First time this season! When I rode by the Carbon River the air coming off the water was cold. The river is fed with ice cold glacier melt. It felt so nice! Today I just wanted to enjoy the day, my ride, and the views. So my pace was not fast but not slow either. It was my “spinning” ride. I practiced my spinning. I did do some sprints on some really beautiful straight sections of the trail. In about an hour I was at the end of the trail. I stopped at the Jump Start Espresso and ordered a nice cold green tea ice tea. I found a nice shady spot and relaxed while I drank my tea. Refreshed I started back for the Puyallup trail head 15 miles away. I finished my ride at 11 AM. I felt great!

Joe has been out of town on business all week. He flies in today at 6 PM. I have to leave around 4:30 to pick him up at the airport. Tomorrow he and I and maybe our daughter too will be doing a ride. This will make three in a row for me! I am really taking advantage of this glorious weather.

It’s supposed to start cooling down by Monday but not bad. It will be more seasonal, in the 70s which is fine with me. Better than the 40s and 50s we had been getting these past few months.


So 30 miles this morning for me! :)

No comments: