Sunday, July 20, 2014

Summer Vashon Island Ride

Every summer I take the Point Defiance Ferry to Vashon Island and take a bike ride around the isle.  I did my ride this summer on Friday, July 18th.  The day started out with a very light marine layer that burned away quickly.  By the time I arrived at the ferry dock the sun was peeking through.  The crossing is only 15 minutes and once docked I exited the ferry and began climbing.  My first visit was to Maury Island and Point Robinson to see the lighthouse.  To get to the lighthouse meant a lot of climbing but with a sweet reward of an awesome downhill to Robinson Park.  After my visit and numerous picture taking I left and began my climb back up and out of Robinson Park.  I decided not to visit the bike in the tree this trip because I have seen it many times and I have countless pictures of it so I continued on until I came to the Vashon Island Coffee Roasterie where I took a nice break and enjoyed a wonderful dark chocolate mocha.  My ride continued to the north end of the island where I screamed down a 21% grade to the Vashon North End Ferry Terminal.  After a short break I climbed back up that hill I flew down.  Believe me coming down was a lot more pleasant and fun then the climbing up and out was.  I finished my adventure on Vashon by riding around the west side of the island back to the south end and the Tahlequah dock where I caught the ferry back to Point Defiance.  What a great day on both my bike and the island.  












No comments: