Sunday, January 09, 2011

2011 A New Year With New Challenges

Last year I finished seven cycling events. Accomlishments which I am very proud to have participated in and complete. They were the Daffodil Classic (65 miles), May Day Metric (75 miles), Lewis County Historical Ride (72 miles), Flying Wheels Summer Century (100 miles), Seattle to Portland In One Day (202 miles), RAMROD Ride Around Mount Rainier In One Day (154 miles), and Cycle the WAVE (44 miles). This year I joined the Randonneurs and will be attempting to complete a P-12.

Before I explain what a P-12 is, I think a short description of randonneuring should come first. Randonneuring is long-distance unsupported endurance cycling. This style of riding is non-competitive in nature, and self-sufficiency is paramount. Participation in randonneuring events is part of a long tradition that goes back to the beginning of the sport of cycling in France and Italy. Friendly camaraderie and perseverance are the hallmarks of randonneuring.

RUSA (Randonneur USA) has a new award program this year called the P-12. Modeled after the R-12, this award is for members who ride a sub-200km randonneuring event in each of 12 consecutive months. Being new to randonneuring I thought it best to start off with the P-12 and next year go for the R-12. The R-12 Award is earned by riding a 200km (or longer) randonneuring event in each of 12 consecutive months. The counting sequence can commence during any month of the year but must continue uninterrupted for another 11 months.

So beginning in January I plan to ride a 100 - 199km ride per month. And if I complete this task I will receive the P-12 Award at the end of the year.

Besides the P-12 rides I would love to try out a few other randonneur rides this year. A few of their 200km, 300km, and yes maybe even a 400km this spring/summer when the days are longer and the weather a bit more pleasant.

No comments: